URI, also known as the University of Rhode Island, is a public research university located in the picturesque state of Rhode Island. With a sprawling campus and a wide range of academic programs, URI attracts students from all around the globe. But have you ever wondered about the student population at URI? In this article, we will delve into the demographics and statistics of the student population at URI to give you an in-depth understanding of the diverse community that makes up this prestigious university.

For additional insights and resources related to academic pursuits, consider exploring Essaythinker. This link seamlessly integrates with our discussion, offering supplementary support and guidance to students who may be seeking assistance with essay writing services while navigating their academic journey at the University of Rhode Island.

What is the Student Population at URI?

The University of Rhode Island, commonly known as URI, is a public research university located in Kingston, Rhode Island. Founded in 1892, URI is the largest university in the state and has a total enrollment of over 18,000 students. But what exactly is the breakdown of the student population at URI? In this article, we will explore the various demographics and statistics related to this prestigious university.

The Total Student Population

As of Fall 2021, URI has a total enrollment of 18,371 students. This number includes undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Out of these 18,371 students, 16,246 are undergraduate students, 1,733 are graduate students, and 392 are professional students. This makes URI one of the top 10 largest universities in New England.

In terms of gender distribution, URI has a fairly equal ratio of male to female students, with 51% male and 49% female students. This is reflective of the overall national trend, where women make up the majority of college students.

When it comes to diversity, URI is a fairly diverse institution with 35% of its student population identifying as a racial or ethnic minority. The top three largest minority groups at URI are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Asian students.

Link: How many students at uri

Undergraduate Students at URI

URI offers a wide range of undergraduate programs across its 9 colleges and schools. As mentioned earlier, there are 16,246 undergraduate students currently enrolled at URI and the average age of these students is 21 years old. The majority of these students (87%) are enrolled full-time, while the remaining 13% are part-time students.

Out of the total undergraduate population, 72% of students are Rhode Island residents, while the remaining 28% come from out-of-state or international. In-state tuition is significantly lower than out-of-state tuition, making URI an attractive option for Rhode Island residents.

One interesting fact about URI’s undergraduate population is that it has a higher percentage of female students compared to male students. 52% of undergraduate students at URI are female, while only 48% are male. This trend holds true across most majors and programs at URI.

Popular Majors Among URI Undergraduates

The top five most popular majors among undergraduate students at URI are Business Administration, Nursing, Psychology, Biological Sciences, and Engineering. Business administration has the highest enrollment, with over 1,600 students majoring in this field. Nursing follows closely behind with over 1,500 students. Other popular majors include Kinesiology, Communications, and Education.

URI also offers a variety of online programs for undergraduate students, including degrees in Business Administration, Cybersecurity, and Health Studies. These online programs provide flexibility for students who are unable to attend classes on campus.

Graduate Students at URI

URI has a total of 1,733 graduate students, with an average age of 32 years old. The majority of these students (79%) are enrolled full-time, while the remaining 21% are part-time students. This is understandable, as many graduate programs require more time and dedication compared to undergraduate programs.

The most popular graduate programs at URI are Nursing, Oceanography, Pharmacy, and Business Administration. These programs have seen significant growth in recent years and continue to attract students from all over the country.

One unique feature of URI’s graduate programs is its commitment to research and innovation. Graduate students have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members on cutting-edge research projects, providing them with valuable hands-on experience in their respective fields of study. This also helps to keep URI at the forefront of various industries and advancements.

Professional Students at URI

URI also offers professional programs in areas such as Law and Pharmacy. These programs are designed for students who wish to pursue a career in these specific fields. Currently, there are 392 professional students enrolled at URI, with 312 in the pharmacy program and 80 in the law program.

The pharmacy program at URI is ranked among the top 15 in the country, and its graduates have a high success rate on the national board exam. The law program also has a high bar passage rate and boasts impressive employment rates for its graduates.

Living On Campus vs. Commuting

URI offers a variety of housing options for its students, including traditional dorms, apartment-style living, and even themed communities. However, only about 26% of undergraduate students choose to live on campus. The rest either commute or live off-campus. This is not surprising, considering URI’s proximity to major cities like Providence and Boston.

For those who do choose to live on campus, the average cost of room and board is around $13,000 per academic year. This cost includes a meal plan and covers all utilities and amenities. Living on campus can be a great way for students to fully immerse themselves in university life and make lasting connections with their peers.

In Conclusion

The student population at URI is diverse and constantly growing. With a wide range of programs and opportunities for research and innovation, URI continues to attract students from all over the country and the world. Its commitment to providing quality education and hands-on experiences has made it a top choice for many students seeking higher education. As URI’s enrollment continues to increase, so does its impact on the community and beyond.

In conclusion, the student population at URI is a diverse and thriving community. From undergraduate to graduate students, there is a strong sense of pride and community among individuals from all walks of life. With a variety of academic programs, extracurricular activities, and resources, URI provides a well-rounded and enriching experience for its students. As the university continues to grow and evolve, the student population will only continue to flourish and contribute to the success of URI. Whether you’re a current or prospective student, the environment at URI is one that fosters growth, learning, and endless opportunities.


  • owenbarrett

    I'm Owen Barrett, a 31-year-old educational blogger and traveler. I enjoy writing about the places I've visited and sharing educational content about travel and culture. When I'm not writing or traveling, I like spending time with my family and friends.